NCAT was established in Peraiyur Village of Kamuthy Block of Ramanathapuram District in a sprawling area of around 250 acres, with the intention of promoting Scientific Agriculture in the Dry Tract of Ramanathapuram District where entire agricultural practices are almost rainfed. NCAT is poised to promote location specific technologies by imparting appropriate education, training and demonstration to enhance production and productivity of both wetland and rainfed crops. This institute is well established and furnished fully for the students’ academic and scientific use.
The NCAT was permitted vide Government Order No. 200 of Agriculture (AU) Department of Government of Tamil Nadu dated 28th September 2015. The NCAT was permitted to admit 90 students for the B.Sc.(Hons) Agriculture degree program for the academic year 2015-2016.
- To promote location specific technologies by imparting appropriate education, training and demonstration to enhance production and productivity of both wetland and rainfed crops.
- To promote the socio economic status of the farmers dwelling in the dry tract by establishing alternate employment promotion possibilities
- To eliminate the existence of Prosopis juliflora in the tract by infusing appropriate technologies to the farmer in a phased manner
- To develop and inculcate good culture among the farmers in promotion of organic farming practices
- To protect the quality of the soil and the people, the training needs will be identified and the appropriate training modules will be planned and delivered by the faculties with NCAT
- The experiences of people in the dry tract will be appropriately used for promotion of value addition and establishment of agribusiness ventures with the support of the farmers’ organization.